Fried rice are nutritious and quick to make. It is among the first dishes I have ever made. You can get extremely creative with the ingredients. The base is always with cooked rice and eggs. Of course you can use other grains such as brown rice, black rice etc. Then, I add one type of vegetable and one type of meat and viola~ After stir frying all the ingredients, they are really to eat!
Some useful tips to make a killer fried rice:
- First cook the egg until 90% done. Then, set them aside in a bowl. Add them to the fried rice as the final ingredient. If you add the runny eggs with all the other ingredients at the same time, the egg with coat onto the rice; the fried rice will become really wet; you do not get individual omelet pieces; and they don’t look on pictures
- The (cooked) rice to egg ratio is 2 cups to 1 egg. Or 2 cups to 2 eggs if I do not have other ingredients.
- I marinate the minced beef with salt, cornstarch and rice wine. This is my go-to marinating sauce when I am cooking Chinese food.
- Shanghainese Bok Choy has a very good crunch. I really like them in my fried rice. Spinach and Chinese cabbage are also quite nice.
- Lastly, after the fried rice is done, drizzle a little bit of sesame oil on top. This will make your dish smell even more like heaven!
To make fried rice with bok choy and minced beef (one portion), you will need:
- 1 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup minced beef
- 1 Shanghainese bok choy
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tsp corn starch
- salt, sugar to taste
- olive oil, sesame oil
- Marinate the beef with rice wine, corn starch and 1/4 tsp of salt. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Chop the bok choy into small pieces, about half centimeter wide.
- Heat the pan with some olive oil. Cook the egg until 90% done. Set aside.
- Cook the beef for 1 minute and then add in the bok choy. Cook for another minute and stir in the rice.
- Add the cooked egg.
- Stir and drizzle with sesame oil.