So… The Chinese Lunar New Year celebration has almost come to an end. In case you have missed it, it started on the 8th of February, lasting for a period of 15 days, until 23rd of February. On the last day, the full moon appears again and this day is called Lantern Festival. Traditionally, people solve lantern riddles, go out at night and watch lanterns. It is also a time for family reunion. Of course there will be delicious food! What better way to conclude Chinese New Year than making some Tang Yuan? These glutinous rice ball very much resembles the full moon. They are typically filled with wonderful things such as sesame walnut, red bean paste, peanut butter or creative fillings like green tea, chocolate.
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp finely crushed sesame
- 1 tbsp finely crushed walnut
- 1/2 tbsp granular sugar
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Mix the rice flour with 1/4 cup water and oil until there are no lumps. Gradually add in the rest of the water until a soft dough is formed. The dough should be moist but should not stick to the side of the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling. Oil holds the filling together and creates this lava texture.
- Take a piece of dough (1 inch cube) and flatten it out.
- Put a teaspoon of filling on the dough.
- Fold the dough and roll it to a ball.
- Dip the Tang Yuan in some glutinous flour to avoid sticking.
- At this point, you can put them in the freezer if you decide to store them away.
- To cook the Tang Yuan, bring a pot of water to boil.
- Boil the Tang Yuan in the water. Tang Yuan are done when they float on the water.
- You can serve them in warm water. Be aware that the filling is really hot as they ooze out from Tang Yuan! Eat slowly haha!
- The filling is interchangeable. Depending on your preference, you can put whatever you want. Another conventional filling is red bean paste. This paste can be directly purchased from Asian supermarkets. Peanut butter are also really tasty. If you think the filling is too stiff or dry and want to make it smoother, add some oil to it. Same goes with chocolate fillings. Enjoy!