This recipe is originally from Martha Stewart. I modified it to my liking and it has now become my go-to recipe for a strawberry cake. It is a mix between a cake and a tart, which means you get to experience the deliciousness of both: crunchy crust with a moist, soft and cakey middle. It is loaded with strawberries, not too sweet and easy to prepare! It is important to use white sugar and beat it with butter for 3 minutes otherwise the strawberries might sink to the bottom and make the cake soggy. Good luck!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan. Butter a 10-inch pie plate.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla. Mix for another 3 minutes.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into the mixture. Reduce speed to low.
- Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 165 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Cut into wedges. Cake can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, up to 2 days.